Wednesday, June 15, 2011

St. John Arrival

We made it safely! Nothing too exciting to report with the flight & whatnot. It was hot & humid here when we landed, which y'all know I love. We were also greeted at the airport with, "Welcome to St. Thomas. Shot of rum?" Yes please!!!

Our first glimpse of St. John
We made it to the island & bought breakfast & lunch groceries for the week - $115 for basic breakfast & sandwich fixins!!! Called the cottage "host" to find out where the keys were hidden only to find out there may not be any electricity - it had been off since lunchtime. We raced--well, as much as once could race on windy, mountain roads--to the cottage trying to beat sunset. Luckily, the power was back on.
 

The roads here are scary and it really has nothing to do with the fact that we're driving on the "wrong" side of the road. They're narrow, extremely curvy, people drive straddling the yellow line and there are wild donkeys and goats all over the place. And those are the highways. I'll post pictures later of the insane road we take to get to the cottage.

At any rate, we made it just before dark and got settled, then headed out to Skinny Legs in Coral Bay for dinner. It turns out Skinny Legs is a Boston bar - what great luck! I had an amazing burger & Bill had a great chicken sandwich. A huge storm hit right after we got there - my dad would call it a "gully washer" - and we've had lots of great, beautiful lightning. I just hope it's gone by tomorrow morning.

Sunset view from our balcony


View from our balcony
I learned that the official drink of St. John - the Painkiller - goes down super easy and fast. It was fun watching the first period of the Bruins game surrounded by Boston fans, but we headed back to the cottage to rest up for beach adventures tomorrow. We're enjoying Virgin Islands brand beer - oddly enough, brewed by the good people of Shipyard Brewery in Portland, ME. Go figure.

Our first Painkillers at Skinny Legs

2 comments:

  1. You must take a photo of the wild donkeys and goats. I want to see them!

    ReplyDelete